Sunday, July 3, 2016

Elie Wiesel

Posted by Pat McGrath Avery

"Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to dust." From Night by Elie Wiesel

With the release of Out of the Depths, David has brought a Holocaust issue to my mind - survivor's guilt. As I've focused on his character, Dr. Bernard Helgman, I've tried - unsuccessfully - to put myself in his shoes. What he endured and tried to forget is beyond my imagination.

This morning I read about Elie Wiesel's death. I read his book, Night, years ago. It was my introduction to the horrors people suffered in the Holocaust. He brought it to life. His contribution to society is immeasurable. He made the world aware of the atrocities that one group of humans can inflict on another. I wonder how many millions he influenced. Did we learn anything or will we allow history to repeat itself in another time and place?

The world has lost an outstanding writer and the Holocaust victims a passionate voice. We mourn his passing but thank God for his life.

I've read several blog posts about him. They too mourn his death. Mindy Phillips Lawrence asks soul-searching questions in her new blog, http://thoughts-like-clouds.blogspot.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment